What is a Complete Roofing System?
A complete roofing system protects your home or commercial building from the elements and exterior conditions. This structure needs to be in good shape to provide proper protection for a long time. However, that can happen only when you have a complete roofing system. While professional roofers will design and install the best roof for your needs, it’s also a good idea to have some understanding of what makes a roof complete. Here is some information that will help.
Types of Roofing Materials
The most widely used roofing materials include:
- Asphalt – Almost 75% of all homes in the United States have asphalt shingle roofing systems. This is a resilient and long-lasting material, available in a range of styles. Since it is cost-effective, you can opt for it even if you are working on a modest budget.
- Metal – Metal is quite widely used as a roofing material, and you can choose between steel, copper, zinc, and more.
- Tile – Tile is a traditional roofing material with a distinctive look. When experienced roofers handle the installation using good quality materials, it can last for decades.
- Wood – Wood shakes & shingles are popular and look more organic and rustic. They complement traditionally styled homes very well. Redwood, cypress, cedar, or pressure-treated pine are the most common wood roofing options.
Other roofing materials include slate, rubber membrane, composite rubber, and laminated asphalt.
Other Important Features of a Complete Roofing System
- Ventilation – Roofing ventilation is crucial to a correctly functioning roof; it helps to prevent moisture from building up and causing damage to your building.
- Insulation – Insulation helps to maintain the indoor temperatures, ensuring that the cold or hot air doesn’t seep through the roof. During wintertime, the insulation keeps the colder air out and the warm air stays in. In the summer months, the insulation will keep the indoors cooler while keeping the hot air out. Without the right amount of insulation, the indoor space will be uncomfortable and the temperatures inconsistent.
- Gutter system – The gutters and downspouts are important to all roofs, regardless of the materials. They help direct water away from the property and help maintain the structure’s integrity and lifespan.
All these factors and features are crucial to a complete roofing system. At Horn Brothers Roofing, we offer a wide range of residential and commercial roofing solutions. Our team works with you, understands how the structure is, and offers roofing options that will be best suited to your needs.