The Importance Of A Functioning Gutter System
Gutters are a vital part of your roof’s drainage system and serve an important function. If you have damaged or misshapen gutters, you’ll face issues like leaks, mold, and ice dams during winter. A strong gutter system ensures there’s no water damage or flooding in your residential property.
Importance Of A Gutter System
Many homeowners underestimate the value of gutters, which can lead to problems down the line. Here’s a look at some reasons why the system is so important:
- Prevents Water Pooling – A good gutter system will ensure your roof drains properly. There’s a low risk of water pooling in the structure and causing damage to it.
- Stops Snow Accumulation – Snow or ice accumulation is a common problem in colder regions. The additional weight can cause structural damage and lead to expensive repairs. Functional gutters ensure there’s no excess snow on top of the roof.
- Basement Flooding – Damaged or poorly installed gutters can cause basement flooding. This happens when the water doesn’t flow away from the property through the gutters, but instead travels down the siding walls and reaches the basement instead.
You need a strong and resilient gutter system to avoid this problem. Make sure the structure is always in a good condition and carry out a regular inspection for the best results.
Choosing The Right Gutter System
Choosing the right gutter system isn’t as difficult as it sounds. You just need to look into three important factors, and they are:
- Material – There are five popular materials available in the market today. You can choose aluminum, zinc, vinyl, copper, or steel options. Aluminum and vinyl are the most common options, and copper is usually the most expensive.
- Style – Homeowners have the option to choose from among K-style, half-round, and rectangular gutter style options. All styles have their own distinct advantages, so consult with an experienced installer to determine which option is best for your home.
- Performance –Performance is also an important factor to consider. Copper gutters may be expensive, but they can last for nearly a century. Vinyl gutters are affordable but they can’t handle extreme temperatures and can become damaged under the weight of snow.
Get an estimate from a reliable roofing company if you want to repair or install a gutter system. They will conduct a thorough inspection of the gutter to determine whether it needs repairs or replacement. It is a good idea to get quotes from multiple companies to find the most affordable deal.