How To Choose The Right Shingles For Your Roof
Shingles are the most exposed and visible aspect of a roof. Most homeowners want an attractive cover that will last for a long time. Fortunately, there are dozens of options available on the market today, so you can choose something that fits your budget and preferences. Choose a reliable residential roofing company to help you with the project. They will offer straightforward advice, recommend the right products, and carry out installation according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Factors To Consider While Choosing Shingles
Every home is unique and has unique environmental factors. For example, homeowners in Colorado will require different kinds of roofing shingles compared to homeowners in Florida. When shopping for a roofing system, ask yourself these questions:
- Will the Material Offer Adequate Protection? – Colorado experiences a lot of snowfall, rain, and even a few hailstorms. You need to make sure the roofing material is resilient enough to handle these conditions without sustaining severe damage.
- Is the Roofing Material Functional? – Does the roof offer benefits like better insulation, energy efficiency, and fire resistance? Does the company offer comprehensive warranties for their product?
- Will the Material Match the Property’s Aesthetic? – The roofing shingles shouldn’t stand out like a sore thumb. Make sure the shingle design and color blend in perfectly with your home’s architecture.
Keep these factors in mind while choosing a new roof. You can also ask experienced designers or friends for some advice.
Types of Shingles
There are different kinds of shingles available to homeowners. You can choose something based on your budget, aesthetic preferences, and property design. Here’s a look at some of the options:
- Asphalt – Asphalt is a popular choice because it is affordable and fairly durable. You can expect this roof to last for 15-25 years. Some of the more expensive asphalt roofs will last for around 50 years.
- Metal – Metal roofing has evolved over the years and is very versatile now. You can choose from a wide range of colors, materials, textures, and designs. Metal is also very durable, capable of lasting for over a hundred years.
- Wood Shakes – Wood shakes are a popular choice for rustic and traditional architecture. These shakes look organic and natural, which makes them suitable for properties with stone and timber facades.
If you’re still concerned about your choice of roofing shingles, consider consulting with a professional roofer. They will explain the pros and cons of every material in detail so you can make an informed choice. Request an estimate from two or three reliable residential and commercial roofing companies in your area and compare the quotes carefully before hiring them.