Dangers of Water Damage to the Roof
We tend to procrastinate over and defer most of our household chores. However, a leaking roof needs to be looked at and fixed immediately. Roof leaks can happen due to several reasons such as natural calamities, wind, water damage to the roof, unsuitable roof installation, and of course, neglecting maintenance.
If your roof is older than 20-25 years and is showing signs of deterioration, it might be time to get a new roof installed. Even if small areas of your roof are damaged, they still pose a threat to the rest of the structure.
Most people consider leaking roofs as a structural problem – water damage in the home can result in a slew of health and safety issues. A leaky roof can damage your attic and trickle all the way down to the foundation of your home. The earlier you catch signs of water damage caused by a leaky roof, the better, and the less costly the repairs.
Signs of Water Damage
Some common signs of water damage include:
- Mold and mildew growth
- Stains on the ceilings and walls
- Damaged insulation
- Higher utility bills
Dangers of Water Damage
There are different ways in which a leaking roof can potentially damage your residential property. A leaky roof is expensive to fix, but fixing it early can prevent other costly home repairs and medical bills:
- Mold buildup causes various health issues, like severe respiratory problems, worsened allergies, and even migraines.
- Water damage to roofs weakens the structure of your property.
- It ruins the flooring. Floors tend to soak up water and then become prone to mold growth. Wood structures around the property soak up water, which further damages them.
- Extensive water damage corrodes pipes quickly.
- Electrical systems around the property can be easily damaged, making your house very unsafe to live in.
- Water stains develop over time and are challenging to get rid of.
Defective roofs can be very dangerous for your property. Apart from making the structure less sturdy, it also causes severe health issues. Is your roof structurally faulty? Call us for a roof repair or replacement estimate. Our team will survey the installation, assess its condition, and discuss repair or replacement options as appropriate.